Thursday, May 2, 2013

Writer's Voice Entry

Dear Writer's Voice,

I am so excited that the lottery selected me! Here is my entry, a YA contemporary entitled SAVANNAH'S GRACE, complete at 58,000 words.

Query:


Sixteen-year-old Vanna Jackson knows her father harbors a secret. What she doesn’t know is - she’s it.


She knows there has to be a reason why they travel the country like nomads, always avoiding the South. Why he staunchly refuses her pleas to go to school, and why he’s so wary about her developing a friendship with the next door neighbor. 


When her father takes a solo trip out of town, Vanna discovers a book that changes everything. It’s a book about her life. Only her name isn’t Vanna, it's Savannah Grace, and she's a little girl that was kidnapped fourteen years ago. As she’s reunited with her mother, she should be happy, but she’s torn, missing her father, the only person she’s ever really known and loved. She struggles to find a connection with her new family. Her unwelcoming sister holds a secret to her past and refuses to give it up. But it's only when she meets Hunter, a totally hot geek who plays in the marching band, that she feels more anchored to her new surroundings.


As the secrets unravel and trouble erupts at school, Vanna’s forced to decide between defending her cruel sister or sticking up for her new boyfriend. Maybe in the midst of it all, this lost girl might just find herself

First 250 words:

I knew my father harbored a secret.

But I didn’t know what it could be. It had to revolve around the trip he so desperately needed to take. A place he wanted to go, alone. He had circled and scratched out a set of four days continuously throughout the spring, leaving red marks all over the taped-up wall calendar. He’d broken up with two, or maybe three, girlfriends in that same time span.

As I pushed whole grain cereal around in a red plastic bowl, I realized that he might be toying with the idea of letting the newest girl babysit me. Sighing, I eyed up the dried, hard morsels clinging to the left side of my bowl, ivory milk in a puddle on the bottom. He wouldn’t leave me with her. She’s the dumbest one yet.

Usually, my father met them in a coffee shop, a bookstore, or a restaurant, where they were clerks or waitresses. He’d sweep into their lives with the ferocity of a tornado, promising them grand things they’d long since forgotten. He’d get the ones with smudges of life stamped all over them. 

A hard thump echoed from Dad’s bedroom. I didn’t react to the sound. My eyes remained steady on my soggy breakfast. Another bump, this time louder. And then a giggle. Moments later, the source of the ear-racking noise breezed by. I refused to look up or even say hello. I fought to remember the skinny girl’s name. What was it again? 

30 comments:

  1. Intriguing! My daughter is named Savannah after Savannah, GA. My YA contemporary takes place there. Is Savannah, GA a setting in your novel? I was lucky enough to be selected into The Writer's Voice as well. So fun! I enjoyed your query, and I wish you the best of luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Most of the book is set in Richmond, VA, when she's reunited with her mom, stepdad and sister. But her parents fell in love in GA and that's why they named her Savannah. So yeah, it does have to do with the gorgeous city in the South :)

      Delete
  2. Hi Virginia, I love your query - this book sounds so interesting! Too bad I'm not an agent. I'd love to see it published. Lots of luck: I'd definitely read this.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love this one! Your descriptions are great. Good luck to you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I so appreciate that...Good luck to you too, if you're in the contest. If you are, I'm going to track down your entry.

      Delete
  4. I absolutely love this concept! Good luck! :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds edgy and emotional! I love the idea behind this one. Best of success wishes to you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your query is really intriguing. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sarah, that means a lot. The query was very hard to wrangle down, and it was veryyyy long before, and I had to cut a lot out, and I was worried I was going to cut out too much vital stuff. So thanks!

      Delete
  7. That query is amazing! I was hooked and couldn't read your 250 fast enough! Best of luck to you!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ooh, the inner conflict she'll go through in this gives me chills - great concept! Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Annette, I'm glad you saw that, because that is a big part of the book, the conflict of still loving/missing someone who is supposed to be the "villain."

      Delete
  9. Oh wow! I would love to read how you deal with the whole dad turning out to be her kidnapper thing. Talk about MAJOR conflict. I've never read a book like this!

    ReplyDelete
  10. That sounds super interesting! Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I've read yours too, but I don't remember if I commented. I will definitely double check and do so!

      Delete
  11. I love the premise. It reminds me Face on the Milk Carton. Good luck in the contest!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nikki, I was a huge fan of the Janie series "Face on the Milk Carton" and undoubtedly the kidnapping angle in that book really intrigued me...and when I read/heard that most kidnappings are done by family members, and only 3 percent by strangers (in "Face on the Milk Carton" of course, it's by strangers) I wanted to explore the family idea. Thanks!

      Delete
  12. Awesome premise and I loved the tone in the 250. Would love to read the rest of the story one day. Best of luck to you! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great voice - I was totally hooked by your first 250 and wanted to keep reading! I loved "The Face on the Milk Carton" and I would be very interested in reading your premise - so much inner conflict, finding out your dad kidnapped you, trying to rejoin a different family. Definitely intriguing. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I am a big fan of angsty, twisty-turny YA novels. This sounds right up my alley. I think this will appeal to the readers of Colleen Hoover's Hopeless. I think you're query's in excellent shape; you had me right at the hook! Good job and good luck with this!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I really like the premise of this! You always see stories about people who were kidnapped and are returned to their biological parents, but people don't usually talk about how the kid must have grown attached to the kidnapper. I'd definitely be interested in reading this! :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. I got a shiver reading this. You gotta love the hot band geek too! Best of luck in the contest.

    ReplyDelete